Monday, April 26, 2010

Food Review: Fika Cafe & Bistro

Hi guys, how was your week? Hope it was swell.

This post is long overdue but I'll try to remember whatever that's still fresh in me. I was at Fika some weeks ago for my birthday; located on the corner of Beach road and Arab Street, this little white themed bistro had caught my eye for a long time but never had the chance to try.

Fika is a halal swedish cafe and bistro with full white furniture and interior, the place gives you this fuzzy feeling like you're at home. A little fun fact - The word "Fika"
means having coffee with one's colleagues, friends, date, or family. The word has quite ambiguous connotations and can mean anything from taking a break from work or other activities, to going on a date. Well, in layman's terms, it means to chill, relax and get together.



The area's rather small, probably can fit to about 10-15 people inside and another 1o at the alfresco. I heard they've opened up the 2nd level which can hold approximately 100 pax for corporate functions, parties or events.

I ordered a Swedish Hash - Diced potatoes, onions and beef, pan-fried and topped with a runny sunny-side-up with sliced beetroot on the side ($17.90). The portion came and I thought: Man, am I going to be full from this? But surprisingly, it was quite filling. They've a good portion of potatoes, greens and the cube sized beef was quite tender and chewy.



My girlfriend ordered Grilled Chicken - Boneless chicken thigh served with parlsey potatoes and black pepper sauce ($15.90) which was really, really good. The sauce was very savory and smooth. It wasn't clumpy like some I've seen before. The chicken thigh was also tender. This is a must order!



Other dishes we tried: The Steak - Juicy strip loin steak served with parsley potatoes topped black pepper sauce ($22.90), it was alright. Portion was good for a lady but probably a little small for a guy. The sides are all the same, you get potatoes and salad. We also tried the meatballs which was a disappointment. We all agreed unanimously that Ikea serve better meatballs!

Dessert was pretty swell. We had Swedish Pancakes sprinkled with icing sugar served with whipped cream and jam. I was quite surprised that Swedish pancakes are actually really thin and they taste slightly salty? But the savory taste mixed well with the blueberry jam and icing. It was a good combination.




Verdict: I enjoyed the experience. It'd be great for a small gathering with 3-4 friends. Especially girlfriends! And I'm very sure the place looks better when it's in the day because of the good sunlight that basked in and white furniture. The food was 7/10. I was quite satisfied!!

What I didn't like: Their meatballs could have been better. I don't know, just didn't taste nice to me. They're also a little too huge. Also, they shouldn't be charging for water. It's a given that water is FOC, period.

For more info/reservations, visit: http://www.fikacafe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment