Sunday, October 25, 2009

Movie Picks: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper Pictures, Images and Photos

"You don't love someone because they're perfect. You love them in spite of the fact that they're not." - Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper.

I remember when I first read the book, I knew from the first few pages, I was going to feel extremely sad about life and it was almost definite that I'd cry; which was why I walked into the theatre prepared with kleenex.

Anyway, the plot in a nutshell: Anna Ftizgerald was born to save her sister, Kate's life. Kate was diagnose with Leukemia, a very rare cancer disease and the doctor decided that maybe if her parents gave birth to another sibling, Kate might have a chance to live. This was how Anna came about. After 11 years, Anna decided that she couldn't do it anymore (trust me, there were complications...), so she filed for medical emancipation against her parents.

I've read reviews and saw clips of the movie before watching it. And also read an interview 8days did with Cameron Diaz last week. (She looks amazing on the cover, btw!) And I must comment, for once, Diaz is not making you laugh. She is making you cry. She must have not slept for days for the show to get those crazy eye bags!

Sorry, I digress. In the interview, Cameron made a very interesting statement which even myself couldn't have agreed more, "I think that we're all warriors. The passion that we have is the thing that feeds our ability to be a warrior." It is true. Too darn true. Everyone in the Fitzgerald family is constantly fighting. Fight against their fears. Fear of losing someone close, fear of death, fear of giving up... But being as a family, they've learned to sacrifice for one another to keep the family from falling apart. They're warriors. True warriors.

Sofia Vassilieva, who acted as sickly Kate, is an upcoming rising star. She does not possess sweet, cute looks but she has a certain charm in her that makes her shine throughout the movie. I look forward to her future gigs. Abigail Breslin is as usual, being at her best in every film she decides to partake. From "Little Miss Sunshine", "Definitely Maybe", to "No Reservation", Breslin is a young starlet I find hard to resist. She's like an adult trapped in a young child's body and at the same time looking as cute as a button.

Of course, the Movie is nothing like the book because the book is 100 times sadder. But at least the movie followed very closely to the book without changing much details. Readers who enjoyed the book will most likely enjoy the movie. I'm not going to spoil it for you because I want you to watch it and tell me how you feel about it.

The movie is definitely not a feel-good movie. I teared so much, I feel embarrassed. However, go watch the movie and you'll realize how blessed you are sitting right where you are munching on that popcorn where there are many other people who's suffering and wondering when's their last day of sunshine. Oh yeah, bring your kleenex, you will need them.

Goodnight.

Next Movie Review: (500) days of Summer


No comments:

Post a Comment